Monday, February 18, 2008

ONCE


Anyone who knows me knows that I am, probably, the most movie-illiterate individual on the planet. Blame it on my undiagnosed ADD, but my ability sit and stay long enough to watch a movie has created a real information/culture deficit in the stockpile of otherwise worthless information that taken over the majority of my grey matter. That said, through the amazing convenience of NETFLIX, I have started to watch many more movies. True, I mostly watch documentaries....most recently, Ayn Rand:A Sense of LIfe (I give it 4 stars...watched it twice), C.S. Lewis and The Chronicles of Narnia (I give it 1 star, it was really quite boring and didn't illuminate anything truly interesting about this amazing author and thinker), My Architect: A Son's Journey (I give it 4 stars....it is about Louis Kahn, a famous architect....very interesting), The Nazis: A Warning from History (definite 4 star rental....so interesting and offered a different perspective on one of the most profound tragedies of our recent history).

Last night we saw ONCE. For a movie with not MUCH of a story line, there is something most amazing and spectacular about this movie. Perhaps, it is the music....which is amazing....I just downloaded the soundtrack. I would say, more than likely, what makes this film so special is its authenticity and emotion. Maybe it is just that life is about timing. And, really, the older I get, the more I realize that everything comes down to timing. It is one of those things that makes life so amazing and confusing and mysterious. In hindsight, perhaps everyone of us can look to a situation, a relationship, an experience and say, IF ONLY the timing had been different...if only I had been older, younger, more mature, less mature, braver, less scared, if only things had been different...but they weren't. And that is life. I guess things don't always work out the way we want them to, they don't happen when we want them to, they come together and fall apart in moments that don't make sense. What I do get is that our timing, our need to have things the way we think we should have them is not always the way we are supposed to experience our lives. Maybe this is the "divine" plan that we are intended to live. I don't know...maybe that is just a way to have peace with the "bad" timing. Whatever it is, I am endlessly curious in trying to figure it out and I guess I'll be busy trying to figure it out for the rest of my life as I don't think there really is an answer or a reason or a theory that will satisfy my concerns.

No comments: