Thursday, May 18, 2006

Competition.


So this concept of competition has come up lately in my design history class.

I, jokingly, referenced a "competition" between the Friday and the Wednesday class the other day...silly me.

The truth is that there is no real competition other than that which we wage against ourselves...at school, we are there to help, support, encourage and challenge each other to be the best that we can be. The stakes are not an increase in salary or keeping or losing a job...it is, simply reaching our most excellent level of creativity and thinking. Call it what you will, we are all in it together.

I guess some people think I am a bit of a jerk....maybe I am...I speak what is on my mind, I push it. I like to push things...I like to see what people are made of because I am interested in seeing what I am made of. Ultimately, I don't ask others to do anything that I would not do myself. I guess most people don't like to be challenged...pushed outside of their comfort zone.

It hurts. It is difficult. It requires risk. I requires NOT knowing everything. It is struggle. Ultimately, it is GROWTH. It is CHANGE. It is getting bigger instead of smaller...and that is worth every bit of the struggle and pain. I would rather stay in a place of discomfort and frustration than go back to complacency...that is the only way I know I am growing.

I'm there. Writhing around in this place that is not comfortable...not certain...I don't know what to do here...so I am just trying to be as still in it as possible...even though everything in me is wanting to go back to the familiar...the comfortable.

Bottom line...Change is hard.

2 comments:

Tania Rochelle said...

Growing up, I used to read Richard Bach and Edgar Cayce. I was a weird kid.

I like this simple idea from RB:

"It's like, at the end, there's this surprise quiz: am I proud of me? I gave my life to become the person I am right now! Was it worth what I paid?" ~Richard Bach

Mary Campbell said...

You were no more wierd than I was, Tania...but I was reading Carl Rogers and Victor Frankl...

Here's another quote by Richard Bach that a friend gave me...I think it's true as well:

"What you knew before you were born isn't lost. You only hide it till you're tested, till it's time to remember. Sure enough, when you want, you'll find some odd funny beautiful way to find it again."
Richard Bach

It sort of speaks to that idea that we are not given things we cannot handle...it is just a matter of digging deep enough within ourselves to find the solutions and peace.