Monday, April 17, 2006

Amelia Earhart.


"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward."
-Amelia Earhart

Amelia Earhart fucking rocks. Talk about fearless...that was one fearless woman. A definite risk taker. I aspire to be so brave. I aspire to be so wise. I've always been one to take the risks, but it has occurred to me recently that simply jumping is not enough. That, sometimes, real bravery lies in the ability to sit still...to be PRESENT in the moment that we are living. That rushing the process, the procedure is missing out on the experience that truly is life. Life is that process. Life is what we do, bravely, every single day...when we are living from a place of mindfulness. I've always wanted to be ahead of myself until I realized that, no matter what, the finish line is still the same no matter how much I try to draw it closer or push it away. The only thing we are assured of in this lifetime is the moment that we have RIGHT NOW and that the past cannot be changed. The future remains unknown and a mystery...which is why the present is so important. That is so hard to remember sometimes...and yet, it is so simple. As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans..." So much wisdom from those who left this earth so, seemingly, prematurely.

5 comments:

Mary Campbell said...

Okay, so, yes, it is lame to comment to your own blog, but I have to say, Amelia Earhart is not only fucking fabulous but absofuckinglutely gorgeous as well...at least in this picture.

Tania Rochelle said...

Quote and photo are both gorgeous.

minus five said...

the fears are paper tigers.
this is my favorite part of the quote.

i call it, pretending you are dead. because if you are dead, who really cares. that frees you up to do anything and everything. to sit or to run. it's your choice.

neither is bad.
both are bad.

Anne Elser said...

Mary - when you graduate, I think you should set up your portrait just like this one. JUST like it! It'd be beautiful and fun and inspiring.

Mary Campbell said...

That is a great idea, Anne!
I think I'll do that...and maybe set up the shot so it looks like I am piloting the plane I am designing for my olympic branding class.