Sunday, March 04, 2007

B-Ball.


This weekend, my lady friend and I decided to go to the women's SEC basketball tournament in Duluth, Georgia. Several years back, I dated someone who was a fanatic about sports and I, by default, got somewhat interested in the game. Seriously people, I don't watch sports with any degree of regularity but one night over a lovely dinner and, perhaps, a few glasses of wine with some friends we decided that attending the 3-day tournament of games would be the *best*idea*ever.* Well, admittedly, one should never make commitments while *on wine,* but, as it turns out we had a fabulous time. LSU won 2 of the three games we attended, but lost the final, championship game tonight...alas, my rooting for the home team did not make the definitive difference.

Highlights from the weekend were a game commentary made by me: "games are HARD aren't they?" To which my lovely, kind lady responded, "yes, honey....games ARE hard....you should probably stick to playing with your crayons..." For the record, what I meant was that the level of speed and agility that these women have while communicating with each other in a very fast paced game was impressive. I would be laboring over what to do while the other team stole the ball from me and made a touchdown.

Another highlight occurred while we were in line for some ice cream. A elderly lady Tennessee fan came up to us and asked where we were from; gleefully, my companions responded "Atlanta!" and I, "Baton Rouge!" Then she accused us of cutting in line and interrogated us on the matter for about 5 minutes. For the record, we did not cut in line. I think she was just in a huff because her silly team lost.

As a side note, I learned that the following *sports fan* diet is not a good idea for someone like me:
Chick-fil-A sandwich and fries for lunch.
Hot dog with extra saurkraut (sp) and mustard for dinner
Mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.

All in all, I highly recommend doing something out of the ordinary every now and then...like attending a sports tournament.

Geaux Tigers.

1 comment:

Roger said...

your funny. remember that conversation we had. that was funny too.